Help for Residents
Smart Meter Information
How do smart meters work?
Smart meters measure the amount of gas and electricity you are using and how much it is costing you, allowing this information to be displayed on an in-home display. It allows a digital meter reading to automatically be sent to your energy supplier at least once a month.
Smart Meters Benefits
- Real-time information on your energy consumption
- Only actual meter readings will be taken once you have a smart meter installed - no more estimates!
- Easily track your energy consumption and find out where you could make reductions, saving you money.
- Suppliers can offer you tariffs based on your energy consumption throughout the day.
How much will a smart meter cost?
You will not be charged separately for a smart meter or for a in-home display.
What a smart meter will display?
- How much energy you are using in real time
- How much energy was used in the last hour, week and month, including the cost
- Whether your electricity use is high, medium or low
- Updates in near real time for electricity and every half an hour for gas
For pre-pay meters
- How much credit you have left
- How much emergency credit you have
- Your debt balance
- If your credit is getting low
How do you get a smart meter?
Energy companies are responsible for the installation of smart meters. If you would like a smart meter installed, contact your energy company and ask whether they can install one for you.
All smart meter installations should be carried out by a trained installer from your energy company, at no cost to yourself.
Once installed, your energy company should provide you with information and advice on how to manage your energy consumption.