Improve Your Property
Action Surrey cannot currently offer grants for replacing a gas boiler.
See below for other schemes and advice.
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is live!
If you are planning to replace your gas boiler, you may be eligible for a grant towards a low carbon heating system such as a heat pump or biomass boiler. The scheme is open to eligible domestic and small non-domestic properties in England and Wales till 2025. Applicants need to apply via the government website.
- Must be the owner of the property. Also applicable to landlords.
- An updated energy performance certificate (EPC), with no recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.
What you will receive
- £5000 off the cost of an air source heat pump
- £5000 off the cost of a biomass boiler
- £6000 off the cost of a ground source heat pump
How does it work?
- Find an MCS certified installer that is able to do the installation.
- The installer will inform if the works are possible under the grant.
- Agree a quote for the installation.
- The installer will apply for the grant.
- You will confirm that the installer is acting on your behalf when contacted by Ofgem.
Heat pumps and Biomass boilers
Heat pumps are a form of low carbon technology, they capture heat from the outside and transfer it to the home. They use electricity but the amount of output energy to your home is larger than the power you need to run the unit, so it is a low-carbon system. For a more in depth understanding including different types, please visit the Energy Saving Trust: guide to heat pumps.
Biomass heating systems use wood or other organic materials as a fuel to heat up water. It could be an option if you already have a very old heating system, but can require an air quality assessment and are more maintenance than a gas boiler. You can find out here.
For full information and details on the boiler upgrade scheme please visit the BUS government guidance.
Priority Service Register (PSR)
If you are a vulnerable customer, living with children under five or have a medical condition, you may be eligible to be put on the PSR. The PSR is a free service provided by suppliers and network operators to customers in need.
You can get a variety of services through registering for PSR, which include:
- Priority support in an emergency
- Meter reading services at appropriate intervals
- Account and bill information in an accessible format
- Yearly gas safety check
Amongst other services. To find out more, please download the document below.
Get a Smart Meter
You could also have a Smart Meter installed to make sure you're aware of your daily energy consumption. Find out more on our "Smart Meter" page.